Syria war: US welcomes pause in Turkish-Kurdish clashes

The US has welcomed a pause in fighting between Turkish and Kurdish forces in northern Syria, urging them to focus on fighting so-called Islamic State (IS).

A US military spokesman described the lull as “a loose agreement” which he hoped would solidify.

Kurdish sources say a ceasefire is in place but a Turkish-backed Syrian rebel commander rejected the term.

Turkish forces have been attacking Kurdish fighters since crossing the border last week.

Turkey is alarmed by the growing power of Kurdish forces, which have proved to be strong allies of the US-led coalition fighting IS.

“In the last several hours, we have received assurance that all parties involved are going to stop shooting at each other and focus on the Isil (IS) threat,” said Col John Thomas of US Central Command.

“It’s a loose agreement for at least the next couple of days and we are hoping that will solidify.”

US state department spokesman John Kirby would not comment on whether a ceasefire was in place, but said the clashes had stopped “and that’s the outcome that we want”.

“We don’t want to see them fighting each other, we want to see everybody in the coalition… focus our efforts on Daesh,” he said, used another name for IS.

Turkish forces and allied factions of the rebel Free Syrian Army (FSA) forced IS out of the Syrian border city of Jarablus last Wednesday and have since pounded neighbouring villages held by the Kurdish-led, US-backed Syria Democratic Forces (SDF).

Map showing control of northern Syria

Turkey has insisted that Kurdish militia, which it regards as terrorists, retreat east across the Euphrates river.

The Jarablus Military Council, which is backed by the SFD, said a truce had been reached with Turkey “via the United states and the international coalition”.

But a Turkish-backed Syrian rebel commander described it only as a “pause” in the fighting and said military operations would soon resume.

The Turkish foreign ministry would only say that it was waiting for Kurdish forces to “fulfil a promise” and retreat east of the Euphrates “as soon as possible”.

Turkish presidential spokesman Ibrahim Kalin said Kurdish-led forces were “shamelessly using the war in Syria to create a de-facto terrorist state in Syria”, adding: “Turkey will not allow that.”

Syria

Advertisements

STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS WINS MOVIE OF THE YEAR WITH A (STAR)KILLER TRIBUTE

As if any other film in the galaxy could compete with Star Wars: The Force Awakens for Movie of the Year. Episode VII took home the night’s top prize at the 2016 MTV Movie Awards, and franchise star, and Breakthrough Performance winner, Daisy Ridley and director J.J. Abrams were on hand to accept the Golden Popcorn for the cast and crew during the Saturday night taping on the Warner Bros. backlot.

The duo, who left production on Star Wars: Episode VIII to attend the big show (!), made quite the entrance as they walked through a deconstructed recreation of the First Order’s Starkiller Base amid an audience holding hundreds of lightsabers.

“I gotta say, it was an incredible honor to be part of the Star Wars saga,” Abrams said, holding his popcorn proudly. Whereever this little guy was, he was freakin’ thrilled:

Source: http://www.mtv.com/news/2864641/star-wars-force-awakens-movie-awards/

Duterte confirms Marcos burial at the Libingan ng mga Bayani

By CNN Philippine Staff

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines) — President Rodrigo Duterte early Sunday gave the green light to bury  former president Ferdinand Marcos at the Libingan ng mga Bayani.

Duterte said Marcos, as former president and a soldier, is qualified to be buried at the Libingan ng mga Bayani.

If some groups oppose this move, the president said protests are welcome.

“He is qualified to be buried there. Kung ayaw ng ibang Pilipino, fine,” Duterte said. “Mag-demonstrate kayo, go ahead. You can use the streets.”

[Translation: ““He is qualified to be buried there. If other Filipinos don’t want this, fine. You can demonstrate, go ahead. You can use the streets.”]

The announcement came after reports claimed the Marcos family wants the former leader buried at the said cemetery on September 18, a week after the latter’s birthday.

Duterte is willing to allow the Marcos family decide on the date of the burial, saying they can even set the date of the burial on the former president’s birthday on September 11.

“If Bongbong (Marcos) feels that it would be a fitting day to celebrate his birthday in the Libingan ng mga Bayani, so be it. It is their right, because nag-go signal na ako [because I gave the go signal].”

No to Marcos ‘hero’s’ burial

Burying Marcos at the Libingan ng mga Bayani is among the campaign promises of Duterte. Several groups have already opposed this move, including the relatives of martial law victims.

Bantayog, Martial Law Chronicles Project Team, UP Samasa Alumni, Claimants 1081, Akbayan Youth and Nameless Martyrs and Heroes launched a non partisan initiative called Bawa’t Bato on June 26 to support their conviction  that the former president does not serve a hero’s burial. Participants placed at the Libingan’s proposed gravesite for the former president stones bearing the names of victims of human rights abuses during the Marcos regime in a silent protest called Bawa’t Bato.

Marcos’ critics oppose a hero’s burial for him because of the alleged human rights abuses, extra-judicial killings, and ill-gotten wealth he allegedly accumulated during his dictatorship.

Meanwhile, the Ilibing si Marcos sa Ilocos movement is set to hold a protest on August 14.

The Libingan ng mga Bayani was established in 1947 to pay tribute to Filipino soldiers and fallen heroes, and to serve as a final resting place for former Philippine presidents, war veterans, notable government statesmen, dignitaries and national artists.

CNN Philippines Correspondent Ina Andolong and Digital Producer Arra Perez contributed to this report.

Source: http://cnnphilippines.com/news/2016/08/07/marcos-libingan-ng-mga-bayani-burial.html

ferdinand-marcos-libingan-ng-mga-bayani_CNNPH.jpg

President Rodrigo Duterte says former President Ferdinand Marcos, as former president and a soldier, is qualified to be buried at the Libingan ng mga Bayani.

Stephen Curry Slams Kevin Durant: Threatens To Leave GSW?

The latest Golden State Warriors update is the one everyone would think of as ‘impossible.’ With all the trades and moves of nabbing players in the free agency, the Warriors are to make big adjustments in their roster. Rumors now suggest that with Kevin Durant’s arrival, Stephen Curry, the team’s most valuable player, threatens to leave the Warriors.

ADVERTISEMENT

As soon as the Warriors have received confirmation about Durant’s contract, Curry reportedly sent him a text message, telling him that all he cares about is winning.

Was he really trying to slam Durant or did he just want to welcome a new teammate with the same mission as his, which is to win?

Read Also: Golden State Warriors Blame Curry For Weak Finals Performance?

Bleacher Report‘s Ric Bucher previously mentioned that one franchise team is in high hopes that Durant’s stay with the Warriors would turn out bad and inefficient for the team. That being said, Curry would have a reason to leave Oakland.

Somewhere, Stephen Curry is watching Kevin Durant hit all these shots and just… laughing, happily

Predictions also suggest that Durant would be shooting a lot for the team, which could include their final, game-winning shots – a task that usually falls on Curry’s shoulders. This only means that the spotlight is off Curry and is shining very much on Durant.

In case the said forecast comes true, the unnamed franchise team previously mentioned would offer Curry back his ‘star’ title again.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BIYO169jDe8/embed/captioned/?v=7

SB Nation’s Jonathan Lee also suggested that Durant’s addition to the team made them more ‘the fans’ favorites.’ He added that in case the Warriors nabbed the title back from the Cleveland Cavaliers, Stephen Curry might just walk away from them.

“The Warriors brass will definitely have the resources to resign Steph Curry, but he should walk regardless. Look, nobody will be shocked if they win a title next season, so that would be 2 for Steph. What more is there to prove?”

Durant did not leave Oklahoma City to win just one title. He stepped out of his comfort zone to win a ‘bunch’ that also includes titles for himself.

Lee also suggested that with Durant’s decision to stay committed with the Warriors, there’s no way the team’s salary cap could hold off both him and Curry. Thus, one must go and end up leaving.

Do you think that Stephen Curry might opt to bolt from the Golden State Warriors soon? Comment below and share your thoughts with us!

Source: http://www.morningledger.com/stephen-curry-slams-kevin-durant-threatens-to-leave-gsw/1396926/

Steph durant

#FettyDanceCraze Goes Viral In Philippines

With every rapper hopping on the #SoFarGone challenge and now with Mobb Deeb issuing the #ShookOnes challenge, what are dancers to do? (Yes, dance is one of the elements of Hip Hop. CC: Ian Eastwood.)

Well Hip Hop fans in the Philippines have created the “Fetty Dance Craze,” a dance challenge using “Nobody’s Better” featuring Fetty Wap himself. The Rockwell crew started the trend by posting a video of simple choreography to the song on its YouTube page. The group also went viral for its moves to R. Kelly’s “Ignition” in what they called the “After Party” Dance Craze.

Source: http://hiphopdx.com/news/id.40178/title.fetty-wap-dance-challenge-goes-viral-in-philippines

LG V20 to Come With ‘Excellent Audio Features’

LG V20
A Google Smartphone Makes No Sense

LG Electronics has released a brand new teaser for the LG V20, the successor to last year’s LG V10, on the company’s Korean website. The teaser confirms that the company will be holding an event on Sept. 6 in San Francisco and another one on Sept. 7 in South Korea.

The new teaser image simply shows what appears to be the LG V20 handset on a microphone stand. The Korean writing on the image translates to “hear, see and more.” The image may be hinting at the handset’s superior audio capabilities.

The new teaser image for the LG V20 suggests that it will come with a high quality microphone.

Previous rumors and leaks have indicated that the LG V20 will come with some form of 32-bit Quad DAC (digital to analog converter) to deliver superior audio playback, accoridng to 9To5Google. The teaser may also confirm that the device will have a professional-grade microphone built right into it.

The company only said on its website that the device will come with “excellent audio features.” LG also teased that the V20 will have “the best video and audio experience.”

Renders for the handset were previously leaked and they showed that the V20 will come with a dual-camera system that’s quite akin to the one found on the LG G5. Perhaps the dual cameras on the V20 will have better picture quality than the G5, as well as manual video recording controls that are similar to the V10.

 

The LG V20 is also expected to come with a 5.6 or 5.7-inch quad HD display, a Snapdragon 820 or Snapdragon 821 processor, 4GB of RAM and USB Type-C. The upcoming device is also the first handset to ship with Android 7.0 Nougat as its mobile operating system.

Since the announcement of the LG V20 is just a couple of weeks away, many are now wondering when they’ll actually be able to get the device. If rumors are to be trusted, the LG V20 should be available starting Sept. 23 on AT&T for $649 (off-contract), according to Phone Arena.

 

Source: http://www.ibtimes.com/lg-v20-teased-new-promotional-image-come-excellent-audio-features-2405584 

 

Los Angeles declares ‘Kobe Bryant Day’ set for 8/24

Kobe Bryant is gone from the NBA, but he’s certainly not forgotten by his adoring fans in Los Angeles. In fact, a city councilman there announced Monday that “Kobe Bryant Day” would take place on Wednesday.

The date, Aug. 24, is not at all accidental. It can also be rendered as 8-24, reflecting the two jersey numbers Bryant wore during a career spent entirely with the Lakers and including five NBA championships.

“Among his astonishing list of accomplishments, Kobe Bryant’s 20-year career with the Los Angeles Lakers ranks him No. 1 all-time for NBA players who played for a single franchise, and ‘Kobe Bryant Day’ is the City of Los Angeles’ way of thanking him for his single-minded dedication to excellence, the fans and the entire City and region of Los Angeles,” Councilmember José Huizar said in a statement.

“For 20 years, we were all the beneficiaries of Kobe’s incredible talent and legendary work ethic, and on 8-24 we’ll gather to say, ‘Thank you, Mamba.’”

Huizar, along with Council President Herb Wesson and Councilmember Curren Price, will honor Bryant at City Hall. According to Huizar’s statement, the player nicknamed “Black Mamba” will also be recognized for his philanthropy, including the Kobe and Vanessa Bryant Family Foundation.

By Wednesday, it will already have been quite the week for Bryant. Monday also brought news that he is helping start a $100 million venture capital fund, and he rang the bell at the New York Stock Exchange.

“Playing basketball, the focus is always on winning. Winning championships, winning championships, winning championships. Now, championships come and go. There’s going to be another team that wins another championship, another player that wins another MVP award.” Bryant told CNBC’s “Squawk on the Street.”

“But if you really want to create something that last generations, you have to help inspire the next generation, and they create something great, and then that generation will inspire the one behind them, right?” he continued. “And that’s when you create something forever. And that’s what’s most beautiful.”

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/08/23/los-angeles-declares-kobe-bryant-day-set-for-824-get-it/Kobe!

What is Pokémon and Pokémon Go?

Pokémon

Pokémon is a Nintendo video game franchise and Japanese cartoon in which fictional creatures with unique special powers are battled against one another by their human trainers. Kind of brutal when you think about it.

Pokémon loosely translates as “pocket monster”. The Pokémon are kept in small Pokéballs whilst the trainer walks between “gyms” where battles take place and the winners are made “gym leader”. Keeping up?
Read more at http://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/pokemon-go-everything-you-need-to-know#Fabd00S1OdvoTuGG.99

Pokémon Go

Pokémon Go is an augmented reality game played on Android and iOS smartphones, which takes the original principles of Pokémon and applies them to the real world.

Using GPS, the human trainers are the ‘real world’ users of the app. You can pick up new Pokémon at real world locations that the app sends you to. Once you reach the location, you wave your phone camera over the area until the animated Pokémon appears. You catch the Pokémon by throwing an animated Pokéball.

You can then begin training your Pokémon. You can even become the “gym leader” of a certain location, like a train station. So it’s effectively like Foursquare, but with Pikachu.

Read more at http://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/pokemon-go-everything-you-need-to-know#Fabd00S1OdvoTuGG.99Pokémon

Samsung Galaxy S8 release date, specs, rumours and price

All that YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE SAMSUNG GALAXY S8
The Samsung Galaxy S8 is bound to be one of 2017’s greatest cell phone release. This is what we definitely think about Samsung’s next lead handset, including the Galaxy S8 release date, specs, components, and cost.
Redesign (20 June 2016): Reports from the Chinese media recommend that the Samsung Galaxy S8 will highlight a double lens camera, in accordance with late bits of gossip about Apple’s next telephone. It’s additionally proposed that the new Samsung lead will brag a 4K show, obviously to enhance the telephone’s VR prospects.
Samsung has a notoriety for building grisly great telephones, so it would amaze – and baffling – if the Galaxy S8 was any diverse. We’re still months from dispatch, however the gear-teeth are now in movement for the happening to Samsung’s next lead cell phone.
Remember – the cell phone business sector is anything but difficult to foresee. All things considered, we definitely comprehend what processors, modems, and camera innovation will be accessible for Samsung to use in front of one year from now’s Galaxy S8 debut. A portion of the feasible Galaxy S8 highlights incorporate Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 830 chip, a tremendous 1/1.7 picture sensor, and a hey res 4K/UHD show.
Samsung is required to dispatch five lead gadgets in 2017, as per late bits of gossip. One of those is tipped to be a foldable Galaxy X, however well known passages look likely as well: think the Galaxy S8, GalaxyS8 Edge, and Galaxy Note 7.
All things considered, we’re far from the Galaxy S8 release, so the telephone remains a relative puzzle until further notice. Here’s our round-up of all that we contemplate the Samsung Galaxy S8…

Charles Barkley Has Some Harsh Words For The U.S. Olympic Basketball Team’s Roster

USA TODAY Sports

The U.S. men’s Olympic basketball team isn’t exactly dominating in Rio de Janiero so far. Sure, it finished the group stage 5-0, but the team had some close calls, including three-point wins over France and Serbia.

With the knockout round set to start on Wednesday, the Americans have some things to figure out. If you ask Charles Barkley, who played on the legendary 1992 Dream Team and always can be counted on for strong opinions about these sorts of things, it’s a question of roster construction. In an interview with Sports360AZ.com (transcription via For The Win), Barkley said the current Olympic team is too reliant on isolation players.

Related Links:

“Well, I hope they win gold. I want always us to win the gold medal. It’s not a good team to put together. I don’t think they did a good job because if you watch all those guys — they’re all good players, don’t get me wrong — they all need the ball.

“If you take away DeAndre Jordan, every guy on that team is a ball-dominant guy. You see them playing a lot of one-on-one basketball. That’s the thing I’ve noticed more than anything. Like, you have to understand when you put a team together like that, you have to have some role players. … But you take a guy like Kyle Lowry, who is a hell of a player, he wants to score. Kyrie wants to score. Kevin wants to score. DeRozan wants to score. So, I think they have been really stagnant offensively.”

Barkley isn’t wrong. This U.S. team has a phenomenal collection of talent, but not a lot of continuity. Only two players from this group – Carmelo Anthony and Kevin Durant – were on the London Olympic team in 2012. In fairness, a number of the most high-profile American veterans of international competition – including Stephen Curry, Russell Westbrook, James Harden, LeBron James, Chris Paul, and Anthony Davis – opted to sit out the Rio games for various reasons, which has resulted in a lot of first-timers making the team and having to mesh on short notice.

The USA has been getting by on pure talent, but a third-straight gold medal is no longer the foregone conclusion it was thought to be before the start of the tournament.

Source: https://www.yahoo.com/news/charles-barkley-harsh-words-u-014959861.html?nhp=1Barkley